Hayes Church extends a hand of welcome to you as it has done to thousands of people since it was founded in 1822. A class of eleven members organized in the fall of that year, forming the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Lower Sandusky (now called Fremont). Within a few years, a two-story frame building was constructed at the southwest corner of Garrison and Arch Streets. The second building, constructed in 1883, was located on Park Avenue. The congregation, which included former President Rutherford B. Hayes and his family, continued to grow, and in 1939 became known as the Hayes Methodist Church. The congregation relocated to Fangboner Road in April of 1967, with the construction of a Fellowship Hall and Sunday school rooms.
In November of 1988, construction was completed on our permanent sanctuary. Participating in the historic United Conference of the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church in April of 1968, this fellowship chose to become the Hayes United Methodist Church.
Memorial Church had its first dedication service in 1915 and the building was situated on the corner of Franklin and Hamlin Streets in Fremont. Since it’s founding, Memorial Church had gone through three name changes. In 1946 the United Brethren and the Evangelical Church united, forming the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren Church met in Dallas and became the United Methodist Church.
On Easter Sunday in 1999 Memorial United Methodist Church and Hayes United Methodist Church joined together forming the now Hayes Memorial United Methodist Church. We are blessed and thankful when visitors choose to become active members of our church.